skip to content

International Student Office


Erasmus+ Key Facts

If you have checked that you are eligible to take part using the criteria on the Erasmus+ homepage, please note the following key facts about Erasmus+:

  • Students can undertake a maximum of 12 months mobility during their course. This can consist of either studying abroad at an institution with which the University has an inter-institutional agreement, or carrying out a traineeship (previously known as a work placement). Only MMLL undergraduates and Architecture students doing the 2 year MPhil can undertake a traineeship. PhD students may also be eligible but should check with the  Erasmus Co-ordinator in the first instance.
  • Any student in their final year of study is eligible to apply for Erasmus funding for a Graduate Traineeship regardless of their course level or subject. A graduate traineeship must take place in the 12 month period after completion of any type of Cambridge degree.
  • A study period abroad must last between 3 & 12 months.
  • A traineeship (work placement) must last between 2 & 12 months
  • You may be eligible for an Erasmus grant which is co-funded by the European Union to help cover some of your living costs during your time abroad. (see the Erasmus fees and finance section for more information)
  • Currently, undergraduate students who go abroad for a full academic year (24 weeks) will only pay a tuition fee contribution to Cambridge which is currently 15% of the full fee for UK/EU students and 50% of the full fee for overseas students. Graduate students continue to pay full tuition fees to the Cambridge during terms of Leave to Work Away.
  • If you are studying abroad you should not have to pay tuition fees to your host institution but you will need to pay your living costs, accommodation and any other small fees that the institution charges to their home students such as lab costs or a university student card.
  • Erasmus funding allocations are dependant on the budget allocated by the British Council. This funding is never guaranteed and if allocated, it should always be seen as a contribution towards expenses as it will not cover all costs incurred.

PLEASE NOTE: In order to maintain confidentiality the International Student Office is only able to discuss  a period abroad with the student concerned. We cannot, for instance, discuss a student's situation with a parent, legal guardian or friend unless the student has given us permission to do so in writing.

Information on this webpage is applicable to students undertaking mobility in the academic year 2020/21. For updates on the impact of the EU referendum on the UK's participation in the Erasmus programme please refer to the University's Brexit FAQs

Erasmus Documents

In order to receive your grant and also successfully complete your Erasmus period abroad you must complete a series of documents. These include:

  1. Student mobility contract: This form sets out the terms and conditions of your grant and must be completed before you go abroad.
  2. Learning agreement (study periods only): This should be signed off by you, your department and the host institution before you go abroad and sets out the courses you will take and the language competence you agree to reach before you arrive.  Changes to this can be made during your period abroad. You should obtain at least 15 ECTS credits for each term/semester of study, or higher if required by your department
  3. Traineeship agreement (traineeships only): This should be signed off by you, your department and host organisation before you go abroad and identifies what you will be doing during the traineeship; the skills and knowledge you are expected to have acquired by the end of the traineeship and how you will be monitored and evaluated. Changes can be made during the period abroad.
  4. Student report: When you have completed your time abroad you must complete an online student report form. The British Council will provide you with details of how to complete this and failure to do so could result in your grant having to be returned.
  5. Traineeship certificate/Transcript of Records: This must be completed at the end of your period abroad by either your host institution or organisation and is the final section in your Learning Agreement.
Language Assessment and Support

All students going on a new period of Erasmus mobility will have to take a mandatory language assessment. The only exception to this is when the individual will be studying or working in English or their native language. All British Language Assistants must undertake the assessment. The assessment should take place both before and after the mobility period and is via an online tool. You will receive emails from the British Council around the time of each of the assessments with information on how to access the online tool. You will also receive reminder emails if you do not complete the assessments by the deadline specified.

The assessments are available in German, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Greek, Polish, Portugese, Swedish and Czech and must be taken before and after each mobility, even if all placements are in the same language.

The assessment is made up of 5 sections namely grammar, vocabulary, key communicative phrases, listening comprehension and written comprehension with a total of 70 questions

There are also optional online courses for students in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and Portugese. Priority will be given to students not studying a language. Mobilities being taken in another country should contact the International Student Office to establish whether funding is available for language support.

Failure to complete the assessment may affect your eligibility for the Erasmus grant.

Students will be contacted with further details by the International Student Office.

Academic Recognition

Unlike many EU institutions, the University does not operate a credits-based system. However, all mobility will be acknowledged by your department and for Undergraduate students, this will be recorded on your final transcript.

Visas and Immigration

You will not require a visa to go abroad under Erasmus if you are an EEA national. If you are not an EEA national then you may require a visa depending on your nationality and destination. If you are a non-EEA national and planning on studying abroad please contact your host institution as soon as you are accepted onto a course to discuss your visa requirements. You should also contact the International Student Office if you have any concerns

Graduate Traineeships

Sudents who intend to carry out a graduate traineeship (otherwise known as an internship or work placement) within 12 months of graduation in an eligible Erasmus country can apply to undertake this period as an ‘Erasmus Graduate Trainee’.  

Am I eligible to apply for funding?

You can apply as long as you are in your final year of your course at Cambridge and will complete in 2020 or have already completed your course in summer 2020. This is regardless of subject area or course lev

If you have previously carried out an Erasmus period of mobility as part of your current course, this may affect your eligibility depending on the duration of your past placement. You should discuss this with the Erasmus co-ordinator.

The placement can be paid or unpaid.

What can I do and where can I go?

Your traineeship must be a minimum of 2 months and a maximum of 12 months and take place in one of the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Turkey.

The traineeship must be completed within 12 months of you completing your course at Cambridge. You are responsible for finding and securing a traineeship, the International Student Office cannot facilitate this for you. You may find it helpful to visit to search for potential traineeships.


Funding is awarded in line with monthly grant rates set by the British Council. The rates vary year on year. The amount of funding you could receive depends on the country you will be going to, the duration of your traineeship, the number of applications received and the available budget the University has received from the British Council. You may not receiving funding for every month of your traineeship; funding is a contribution towards your expenses as it will not cover all of your costs. Information about grant rates can be found here.

Please email your completed application form, a CV (UK format) and a personal statement explaining why you would like to carry out the traineeship to the Erasmus co-ordinator:

Click here to access the graduate traineeship application form

The deadline for applications is 01.07.2020 and in addition, applications need to be submitted at least five weeks before the planned start date of a traineeship in order to be eligible for consideration.

Applications will be considered by the International Student Office and the outcome will be communicated as quickly as possible.

If your application is approved

You will be required to complete a traineeship agreement, grant agreement and certificate of arrival. Further instructions will be provided by the Erasmus co-ordinator.

Healthcare, insurance and visas

Please note that given that you will no longer be a registered student at the point of starting your traineeship, you will not be covered by the University’s insurance and as a result you will need to obtain your own. You will also be responsible for organising a visa for the country you are going to if you are a non-EEA national.

Convention de Stage

Please note the University of Cambridge cannot sign a Covention de Stage agreement for Graduate Trainees. If your placement requires one then you will be unable to do so as an Erasmus Graduate Trainee.

Further Information