skip to content

International Student Office


Information for Incoming Students

This page contains information on eligibility to study at Cambridge under the Erasmus+ scheme, how to make your application, the courses you can choose from as well as hints and tips from former students. Please read all the information carefully, any questions can be sent to

For information on work placements please see here.



Application to Study

If you wish to study at the University of Cambridge as an Erasmus student, you must contact your Erasmus Coordinator at your home institution. We can only consider students from institutions with which we have a current inter-institutional agreement in the relevant subject area.

Once we have received your nomination from your Erasmus Coordinator, you will be invited to attend a webinar to help you with the applications process to Cambridge. These will be held during the first three weeks of April.

Once you have attended the webinar you will be sent a password and username to access the online application form. You are required to upload the following documents during your application:

Your application must include:

  • Learning Agreement
  • Letter of recommendation from a supervisor, tutor etc
  • University transcript, detailing all exams taken in higher education
  • Your Curriculum Vitae
  • A passport-type photograph in JPEG format

The relevant Department and College consider the application and we will contact you to let you know whether your application has been accepted.

English Language Assessment

All students who are non-native speakers of English are required to sit an online English assessment as part of their application. Details of the assessment including passwords will be sent to the student’s Erasmus Coordinator who will make the necessary arrangements for the student to sit the assessment. Assessments are carried out under exam conditions and consist of three parts; reading, writing and listening, each lasting no longer than one hour. After completing these assessments, students to sit an oral assessment which will be carried out over the telephone. All assessments must be completed by the relevant application deadline.

Students are exempt from taking the assessment if they already have one of the following qualifications which must have been obtained in the last two years:

  1. IELTS: a minimum overall grade of 7.5, with 7.0 in each element
  2. Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English: at grade A
  3. Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English: at grade A or B
  4. A TOEFL iBT Certificate with a minimum overall score of 100, with at least 25 in each element
Structure of the year in Cambridge

The University of Cambridge does not operate a modular system; our courses run for the entire academic year, usually with exams in the third term. If you wish to apply for a taught course, you should indicate that you will be here for all three terms. Students are usually expected to submit a series of essays to their supervisor for each course. With the exception of Law, exams are not normally mandatory.

Research students may apply for one, two or three terms. If you are applying to undertake research, you should find an academic member of staff who is willing to act as your supervisor whilst at Cambridge.

At the end of the academic year students will be provided with a transcript of records which will set out the courses taken and the level achieved.

Deadline details

You must be nominated by your Erasmus Coordinator to by:

31 March for the Michaelmas Term
31 August for the Lent Term
31 October for the Easter Term

The deadlines for your application are:

30 April for the Michaelmas Term
30 September for the Lent Term
30 November for the Easter Term

The Cambridge Academic Calendar can be found here:

Available Courses

Erasmus students who come to Cambridge as participants in exchanges initiated by the Faculty of Modern and Medieval Languages and Linguistics should refer to the following framework regarding their course choice. The documents below are for the 2019/20 academic year.

Erasmus students who come to Cambridge as participants in exchanges initiated by the Faculty of English should refer to the following framework regarding their course choice:

Erasmus students who come to Cambridge as particpants in exchanges in History and Modern Languages (HML) should refer to the following framewrok regarding their course choice*:

*Institutions falling under this framework are: Universität Wien, Friedrich-Schiller- Universität Jena, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Université de Paris I Pantheon-Sorbonne, ENS Lyon, Universidad Complutense Madrid, Universitat de Vàlencia, Universidad de Zaragoza

Erasmus students who come to Cambridge as participants in exchanges initiated by the Faculty of Law should refer to the following framework regarding their course choice:

Erasmus students who come to Cambridge as participants in exchanges initiated by the Department of Chemistry should refer to the following framework regarding their course choice:

Erasmus students who come to Cambridge as participants in exchanges initiated by the Department of POLIS should refer to the following framework regarding their course choice:

Students of other subjects should get in touch with the International Student Office ( regarding the choice of courses available.

PLEASE NOTE: In order to maintain confidentiality the International Student Office are only able to discuss a period abroad with the student concerned. We cannot, for instance, discuss a student's situation with a parent, legal guardian or friend unless the student has given permission to do so in writing.


If you are a national of a country outside of the EEA or Switzerland, you are likely to require either a Short Term Study or Tier 4 (General) Student visa to study inside the UK. The International Student Office ( can provide you with the documentation required for both visa types as well as provide immigration advice. We recommend that you contact us at least 3 months before you are due to arrive to discuss your immigration status. You may also find the International Student Section of our website helpful in terms of finding out information on the visa application process.

N.B. The cost of a standard Tier 4 visa application is currently £348.

Insurance and Healthcare

You will be covered by the University's public liability insurance during your time in Cambridge. You will need to arrange for travel insurance which should include heatlh and accident insurance. It may be that your host institution provides certain types of insurance cover for you during your time abroad so we strongly recommend that you check with them before you travel.

If you are an EEA national you will have free access to most healthcare but should obtain an EHIC before you travel to the UK. Some medical services such as prescriptions may incur a charge. If you are from outside of the EEA and coming to the UK for 6 months or more it is likely that you will be charged an NHS surcharge as part of your Tier 4 visa application. This will give you free access to the NHS. For more information please see our International Student webpages

College Membership and Accommodation

Colleges are much more than halls of residence; you will be living, eating, studying and socialising in your College. Your College also provides your pastoral, non-academic support. For information on the Colleges, please see

The process of securing a College can be lengthy, so please be patient. Please also note that due to extremely limited places, it is not possible to choose your College and it is likely that you will not be offered a second choice.

If it is not possible to find you College accommodation, or you prefer to find your own place to live, you can use the University’s Accommodation Service.

Whilst you will not be charged fees during your time at Cambridge, the cost of living in the city may be higher than at your home university. We have estimated that you should allow £9,420 a year for living costs. Please note that you may be asked for financial guarantees to cover accommodation costs.

Your College will send you all the information on coming to Cambridge, including travel, dates of term and any student induction events.

ECTS Credits

The University of Cambridge does not currently operate the ECTS credit system. All Erasmus students receive a transcript at the end of their stay showing the courses they have studied, including any exam results, and the ECTS equivalent. As an approximation, one term studying full time at Cambridge as an Erasmus student is equivalent to 20 ECTS credits. It is important to have an up to date Learning Agreement to ensure your course of study is sufficient for your home institution to award you the correct number of credits for your time in Cambridge.

Academic Development and Training for International Students In-Sessional Programme

Whilst you're here in Cambridge on an Erasmus exchange, you will, of course, be using your English language skills on a daily basis, but if you feel that you'd like to concentrate on fine-tuning in particular your academic English skills, then you might like to have a look at the University's ADTIS Support Programme for international students.

The programme consists of focused two-hour workshops and individual supervisions with an ADTIS supervisor. Each term there are 2-3 workshops a week on such topics as 'Editing your Writing', 'Presentation Skills', 'Achieving a readable style', and 'Debating'. You can attend as many of these as you want to throughout the course of the year. Whilst the workshops aim to cover the wider generic aspects of English at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, the one-to-one supervisions are tailored to the needs of the individual student. Let your home Erasmus coordinator know if you decide to register for the course as they may be able to help you with funding.

You'll find details about how to register and the fees involved on our website: Language Centre

If you have any questions, please e-mail:

Please note that only students accepted at the University of Cambridge under the Erasmus programme are eligible to apply for this course.